10 April 2018
We surveyed a group of experienced investors to learn more about how they make investment decisions. Here’s what they told us.
- Set clear goals and only invest in products that will help you achieve these goals.
- Read an investment’s product disclosure statement – this gives a good snapshot of the investment and highlights where further research is needed.
- Do extra research including speaking to financial advisers and friends, online research, reading forums and business publications.
- Understand risk and return – higher-risk investments can give better returns but can also go down in value.
- Invest in a mix of high-risk and lower-risk investments that takes your personal goals into account.
See Deciding how to invest to find out more about the steps to get you started with investing.