Investor capability is a key part of well-functioning financial markets. Part of our role is to help build this capability.
Our Investor Capability Strategy for 2015–2018 sets out our approach to building investor understanding and confidence. Our key activity streams are:
- Partnerships – to share core investor messages more widely
- Targeting – providing accessible, relevant resources
- Understanding risk – helping investors better understand investment risk and how to factor it into their decision making
- Help – encouraging and enabling investors to seek information or advice before making decisions
- Regulatory interventions – ensuring investor outcomes are always considered when the FMA exercises its regulatory functions.
We’ll be working closely with the Commission for Financial Capability (CFFC) and the financial services industry to deliver on the strategy. Improved investor capability helps with the government’s goal of ‘everyone getting ahead financially’ as set out in the Government Statement on Building Financial Capability.